TennCare Anniversary Highlights Program’s First Year Successes
DentaQuest is marking the one year anniversary of our management of Tennessee’s Medicaid Dental Program, TennCare. We are very pleased to announce that during this first year, we reached or exceeded all benchmarks required by the state of Tennessee.
Our goal with the TennCare dental program was to make it easy for members to visit the dentist and keep their smiles healthy. The importance of establishing good oral health early in life often goes overlooked despite the fact that it is a foundation for lifelong overall health and wellness.
Upon winning the TennCare contract, our first task was to create and manage a dental program that satisfied the needs of members, the state and dentists. We are honored to have the opportunity to work with TennCare Dental Director Dr. James Gillcrist and the dedicated staff of Tennessee’s Medicaid Dental Program in delivering a program that has increased member participation, while significantly reducing program costs. Most importantly, we’re making sure members receive the right care at the right time and in the right amount.
Since October 1, 2014, DentaQuest worked to develop a high-value network from the ground up with a focus on access, quality and efficiency.
- The current network of 869 dentists ensures that 750,000 Tennessee childreneligible for dental benefits receive the highest possible quality of care.
- Today, there is 1 dentist for every 857 members. This ratio exceeds Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services recommended ratio of 1 provider for every 1,500 patients.
- Members are located 3.4 miles from the closest DentaQuest dentist.
- The trending dental screening percentage is 90% – surpassing the requirement of 80%.
11 days, 21 hours and 10 hours – That’s the amount of time, on average between the scheduling of an appointment and a member being seen by a provider for routine, urgent care and emergency appointments, respectively.
- Routine appointments are being scheduled within 11 days. [The benchmark is 21-days]
- Urgent care appointments are scheduled within 21-hours. [The benchmark is 48 hours]
- Emergency care appointments are scheduled within 10-hours. [The benchmark is 24 hours]
We are very proud to note that in every instance, we surpassed the required benchmark.
DentaQuest is dedicated to remaining transparent and accountable in our oversight of the program and has released a Report for the Community including findings from TennCare’s November 2014 analysis of the network. Please visit http://www.dentaquest.com/tn/ to download a digital version of the full report.